Friday 20 August 2010

RIP Eddie



Edwin Morgan the Makar of Scotland and one of the literary world's modern greats has passed away. I'm not going to eulogise him here as there are many who better qualified than I to do so. Instead, I'm going to let one of his poems speak for him.

Strawberries

There were never strawberries
like the ones we had
that sultry afternoon
sitting on the step
of the open french window
facing each other
your knees held in mine
the blue plates in our laps
the strawberries glistening
in the hot sunlight
we dipped them in sugar
looking at each other
not hurrying the feast
for one to come
the empty plates
laid on the stone together
with the two forks crossed
and I bent towards you
sweet in that air
in my arms
abandoned like a child
from your eager mouth
the taste of strawberries
in my memory
lean back again
let me love you

let the sun beat
on our forgetfulness
one hour of all
the heat intense
and summer lightning
on the Kilpatrick hills

let the storm wash the plates

Edwin Morgan

8 comments:

  1. I can't think of a better way to celebrate the life of a man, than remembering a moment of bliss in anothers. *Smiles* Well done. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Indigo - thanks for popping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great man indeed, Michael. Thanks for posting his poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful poem and a lovely tribute. Made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that poem. I studied his work many years ago during SYS English and this was one that I always remembered. And One Cigarette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vikki - he has so much work to celebrate, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael, I blush to admit I had never heard of Edwin Morgan until I saw this post. What a great, great poem. How did I miss this man? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. welcome, William. He's certainly much celebrated here in Scotland but I don't know if the rest of the world caught on to him. The BBC showed a documentary they made about him just before he died - he came across as a warm, down to earth individual and what a sparkle he had in his eyes.

    ReplyDelete