Wednesday 15 April 2009

The Optimism Crunch







While watching the news the other day it occured to me that we had entered a different form of "crunch", one where optimism was in as short supply as new jobs in the banking world.

When was it decided, in our quest to be kept informed of world events that the concept of “news” was exclusively meant for BAD news? Should we be renaming all those news programmes – Sky Bad News, Bad News at 10, Bad Newsnight? Because apart from the finishing funny at the end of the programme the news is unceasing, unremittingly BAD. Yes, we are living in “difficult times”, but if I want to wallow in shit I can just watch ITV2 for twenty four hours. Katie Price/ Colleen’s Real Women/Paris Hilton’s New Best Friend...I rest my case.
Just the other week on the BBC’s Bad Breakfast Show they had a slot where they were discussing the wonderfully alliteratively named credit crunch and wondering how parents should be discussing this issue with their children. Dear reader, I swore. I used the f-word. And then chucked my crunchy nut cornflakes at the screen. Can I just say milk on LCD – not a good idea? Cleaning aside (two days later. Long story. Don’t ask), it was a cathartic moment.
Now I watch Everybody Loved Raymond in the morning before going to work - while eating porridge. Healthy mind, healthy body. If you haven’t watched ELR, its a gem of a programme. Sends me off to work with a smile on my face.
Michael






2 comments:

  1. Well said Michael! Too much talk of gloom and doom caused the recession. Smile and the world smiles with you! Great blog, btw.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Janice. Let's send smiles out into the world.

    ReplyDelete